The Rock Stop is a music school and recording studio in downtown Traverse City. We offer music lessons and professional recording services, as well as a rock band program. The rock band program allows students to join and form bands, learning music as a group with the help of an instructor, and culminates in a final performance at a local venue.
Our students range in age from seven years old through adults, and seek instruction in piano, vocals, guitar, bass, drums, and other instruments.
We seek a part-time music teacher to join our growing team. Experience teaching music is not required, however, the successful candidate will demonstrate a high level of competence in at least one of our core instruments as well as enthusiasm for working with students in a positive setting.
This may be a unique and exciting opportunity for a working musician looking to make a positive impact in the community or an established teacher looking to gain new experience in a fun setting.
- Instructing individual students in private lessons on the instrument of their choice in 30-minute or 60-minute increments
- Instructing groups of students (usually between 2-4, but up to 6) in a rock band setting including on drums, guitar, bass, keyboards, vocals, and other instruments. Bands meet for an hour each week for nine weeks, and instruction includes helping bands learn and feel confident performing 1-3 songs by the end of the 9-week program
- Staffing tech rehearsals and Rock Stop showcase performances, including, potentially, loading and unloading gear, interacting with venue staff, troubleshooting sound, taking photos, interacting with students and parents with professionalism and enthusiasm, and/or other duties depending on needs and interest
Core attributes and experience desired:
- Must show up on time to lessons and engagements
- Must demonstrate enthusiasm for working with students and for music
- A basic level of proficiency across several of our core instruments: Keyboard/piano, Guitar, Bass, Vocals, and/or Drums
- Experience teaching and/or working with students age 7-15 a plus
- Experience performing a plus
- Experience recording audio and/or running soundboards a plus
This position will begin with an on-the-job training period (fully paid) that will include assisting our lead teacher with lessons and band instruction for several hours a week, and will build to taking on blocks of students and bands. It is unlikely that total weekly hours will exceed 10. Specific hours will be based on teacher availability and student demand, and will typically be within the window of 3pm and 7pm M-F during the school year, with more flexible summer hours. We work with our teachers to schedule students in blocks during their availability, but expect good communication to ease this process. This position is designed to be a growth opportunity over time.
If interested, please send your relevant experience, instruments, availability, and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Part-time Music Instructor.”
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour